With this t-shirt design, I wanted to incorporate my photography with other visual, graphical elements to create a piece. This was not going to be an over complicated design as I wanted the photograph to be the main focus. I have recently gone to do a photo shoot at Denbigh mental asylum, this meant that I had a lot of dark and grungy photographs which could be used as a poster or just incorporated in a graphics, I had lots of photographs to choose from but one that stood out was of a broken clock which was spread out on a desk. You could see a lot of details within the image, not just of the clock but of the grime and dust. This was a building which had been abandoned for some time and everything had been weathered and worn to a strong degree.
This is the image of the clock which forms the basis of my design; it is black and white with a strong contrast. The rest of the design will be black and white in order to match the overall theme; I have decided that the design needs to be simple yet striking. Having a heavily edited image with high contrast works well for a t-shirt design as the white from the shirt helps the design really stand out.
I decided adding a frame to the image would work well as it is a different way of presenting something on a t-shirt. A frame is the conventional methods of displaying an object on a wall so why not do the same on a t-shirt? It focuses the viewer’s eye to what you want them to see, it gives a sense of importance, if something is worth framing then it is worthwhile viewing. I used a stock image of a wooden frame, then rendering it to look vectorised, this is so it is not just a picture of a frame but has been stylised and altered, it is then converted to black and white to go with the theme of the design.
I did not want to add anymore to the image apart from the text, this keeps the work clean and simple. I do not like over complicated designs as they can bore or confuse the viewer. I made the text large and bold so that it is easily read. This is because it is then easier to read and as there are only two words then it is the other focus point of the work apart from the image, I want viewers to see both at the same time instead of one after the other. The statement ‘time’s change’ is quite vague but that means that it can apply to anyone or anything so makes it more desirable as a product.
To finish of this design, I made the text which is overlapping the frame, have half of it bold and black, and the other opaque with a thin black outline. This helps stop the text overpowering the rest of the design as you can see through parts of it so it is not the complete focal point. It also helps the viewer see the details of the frame which would be hidden by the text otherwise. I decided to keep the bottom line of text black on the frame as it stops there being too much symmetry but creates repetitions in the design of the text  and shows a theme in the design.
I am pleased with how this has turned out because it is a simple design with an easy to read message. The frame works as it is an unusual and different way of displaying the design and is actually a part of the design itself. Then the text is connected to the work so is not seen as a separate aspect. This works well and creates a piece that flows through, each part is easily seen yet they are not separated too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment